Visitors Guide to the
Historic Trinity Lutheran Church
812 Soulard Street
St. Louis, MO
314-231-3454

Accessible Parking Accessible Missouri Historical Site Accessible Religious Services

Located in the heart of Soulard neighborhood of St. Louis, five minutes south of downtown hotels and one block south of the famous Soulard Market, Trinity Lutheran Church houses the oldest Lutheran congregation west of the Mississippi River. The congregation was founded in 1839 by Saxon immigrants who had planned to settle in Perry County, Missouri but ended up staying in St. Louis. The congregation first held services in the basement of Christ Church Cathedra and then at their first building on Lombard Street, which was consecrated in 1842.

As the congregation grew and many members had moved away to the southern edge of the St. Louis a new church was needed. In 1864, the cornerstone was laid for a new church at the present site that seated 900 on the ground floor and 150 in each of two balconies. The Gothic-style pulpit with hand-carved statues of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John is the original and was made in 1864. The church's intricately carved baptismal font dates to 1864 and three of the church's four bells were cast in 1866. The church's gleaming white and gold carved altar against the pink backdrop of the vaulted sanctuary dates from 1896. Two massive stained glass windows depict the Good Shepherd and the Victorious Savior. Display cases in the church hold several Bibles from the 1600s and old photographs. Also displayed is memorabilia of C. F. W. Walther, the congregation's second pastor and one of the founders of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

When the congregation was originally established it was called "Dreieinigkeitskirche" which meant "Trinity Lutheran" but changed its name in 1917 due to anti-German sentiments in World War I. Services are still conducted in German once a month. The church's school is the oldest continuously operating elementary school in St. Louis and dates to the time the Saxons spent on the boat sailing from Europe. The historic building underwent a restoration in the 1980s.

Visiting the Historic Trinity Lutheran Church
     Visiting Hours
          Monday - Friday: 9 am to 5 pm
          Saturday: 9 am - Noon. Saturday evening Eucharist is at 5 pm
          Sunday services are at 8:45 am with the Eucharist at 10:15 am

          Tours of the church are available during the day. Call the church office to arrange a times.
There is no charge to visit the Historic Trinity Lutheran Church.


Location: The historic Trinity Lutheran Church is located south of downtown St. Louis.

GPS Coordinates
N  38  36.551
W 90  12.149

Learn more about the St. Louis area.

Historic Trinity Lutheran Church - Official site of Historic Trinity Lutheran Church.

FEATURED ATTRACTIONS ALONG THE GREAT RIVER ROAD
U.S. Grant
National Historic Site
Camp River duBois
Hartford, Illinois
Mastodon
State Historic Site
Mississippi
River Ferries
     







 
  Regional Guides
to the Middle Mississippi River Valley
 
       
  Meeting of the Great Rivers
National Scenic Byway
Ste. Genevieve &
French Colonial Country
Gateway to the West
St. Louis & St. Louis County
        
 
   Meeting the Missouri
Historic St. Charles County
The Lincoln Hills Region
Northeast Missouri
   
 
  The Tri-States Area
Iowa, Illinois & Missouri
The Mississippi River
Meets the Ohio River
   
  greatriverroad.com Home Page
Your index to over 800 informative pages covering the Middle Mississippi River Valley.
  At greatriverroad.com we strive for accuracy.
If you have any corrections, suggestions or information
you would like to see contact the webmaster.
For advertising information contact marketing.
Copyright 2001-2011
greatriverroad.com - Elsah, Illinois