Visitors Guide to
Historic Churches & Religious Sites
in St. Louis & St. Louis County
   
   
Basilica of St. Louis
King of France

209 Walnut Street
St. Louis, MO
314-231-3250
  The Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France, formerly the Cathedral of Saint Louis, and colloquially the Old Cathedral, was consecrated in 1834. It was the first cathedral west of the Mississippi. It is located on the historic riverfront of Saint Louis, near the Gateway Arch. Because of the historical significance of the church, it was left intact while the neighboring buildings were all torn down to make way for the Gateway Arch. The church is especially noted for its neo-classical marble altars, a painting given by Louis XVIII of France of a vision of Saint Louis, and an accurate copy of the painting of the Crucifixion by Diego Velázquez. The church basement has a number of artifacts associated with the history of the Diocese (and later, Archdiocese) of St. Louis.
Black Madonna Shrine
St. Joseph Road
Eureka, MO
636-938-5361
  The Black Madonna Shrine is a Franciscan Shrine dedicated to Poland's Black Madonna, Our Lady of Czestochowa, Queen of Peace and Mercy. The grottos, made of Missouri tiff rock, were hand-constructed over a 22-year period by Brother Bronislaus Luszcz. Visit the Black Madonna Shrine website for more information.
   
Christ Church Cathedral
1210 Locust Street
St. Louis, MO
314-231-3454
  The Cathedral was constructed between 1859 and 1867, and designed in 14th century English Gothic tradition by Leopold Eidlitz (1823-1908), one of the leading architects in America in the latter half of the 19th century. Christ Church Cathedral is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and as a National Historic Landmark.
   
Cathedral Basilica of
Saint Louis

Lindell Blvd. at Newstead Avenue
St. Louis, MO
314-373-8240
  The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis, also known as the "New Cathedral," is the crown jewel of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Louis. A magnificent structure, the cathedral is Romanesque in style on the exterior and Byzantine on the interior. The building's distinctive green tile dome cuts a majestic silhouette on the Central West End skyline. The church contains the largest mosaic collection in the world. Created by 20 different artists, the mosaic artwork covers 83,000 square feet. Installation of the 41.5 million pieces of mosaic glass began in 1912 and was completed in 1988. The Mosaic Museum, with displays on the construction of the building and the creation of its mosaics, is on the lower level of the cathedral.
Historic Trinity
Lutheran Church

812 Soulard Street
St. Louis, MO
314-231-4092
  Located in the heart of Soulard, five minutes south of downtown hotels and one block south of the famous Soulard Market, Trinity Lutheran Church houses the oldest Lutheran congregation west of the Mississippi River. The historic building on the southwest corner of Eighth and Soulard Streets was restored in the mid-eighties. Visitors from around the world have admired its brilliant interior with its gleaming white and gold altar. The Pulpit and Baptismal Font are the original dating back to 1864.
   
Old St. Ferdinand's Shrine
1 Rue St. Francois
Florissant, MO
314-837-2110
  Old St. Ferdinand’s Shrine is one of the few remaining vestiges of St. Louis’ Spanish past. The church, built in 1821, is the oldest standing church in all of the Louisiana Purchase Territory. It is also thought to be the oldest Catholic Church between the Mississippi and the Rockies. The original church was built in the federal style but when it was renovated in 1880, it took on a gothic revival appearance. The church is part of a complex of buildings of unusual historical and architectural importance that includes a convent where pioneer and educator Mother Philippine Duchesne once taught Indian children. All of the buildings are listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
St. Francis de Sales
Oratory

2653 Ohio Avenue
St. Louis, MO
314-771-3100
  Built at the turn of the last century, St. Francis de Sales Oratory is known to locals as “the cathedral of South St. Louis” because of its elegantly designed exterior and its 300-foot spire. It is one of the only church in the St. Louis area of German Gothic architecture and is based on the design of a church in Germany. The campus includes the church, a rectory, former convent, and two former school buildings. The church is on the National Registry of Historic Places. Visit the St. Frances de Sales Oratory website for more information.
   
Saints Peter and Paul
Catholic Church

1919 South 7th Street
St. Louis, MO
314-231-9923
  The present building of Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church is the third structure to serve the local community in the Soulard Market area of downtown Saint Louis. The first church was built in 1849 and the current structure in 1875. The church is one of the few churches in the area designed in the German Gothic style to reflect the roots of its original parishioners.
   
Shrine of St. Joseph
1220 N. 11th Street
St. Louis, MO
314-231-9407
  The Shrine of St. Joseph is an historic church and the only example of Baroque church architecture in the St. Louis area. It is also the site of the only authenticated miracle in the Midwest. The Shrine's beautiful altar has become known as the Altar of Answered Prayers and people often tuck pieces of paper with prayers written on them into crevices on the altar in the hopes they will be answered.
   
For Travelers Heading Across the River
  Meeting of the Great Rivers
Scenic Byway

The Meeting of the Great Rivers Scenic Byway area is one of America’s newer scenic byways. With over 20,000 acres of forest and wetlands at the heart of the Mississippi Flyway, it is a nature lovers paradise. Visitors will find spectacular colors in the fall and bald eagles in the winter. History abounds in the region ranging from the prehistoric Cahokia Mounds to sites on the National Register of Historic Places.
For Travelers Heading Up River
  Meeting the Missouri River
The two longest rivers of the United States, the Missouri and the Mississippi, meet at St. Charles County, Missouri. The Historic St. Charles downtown area offers visitors a variety of attractions including the Lewis and Clark Boat House and Nature Center, The Foundry Art Centre, and Missouri’s First State Capitol. Nearby is Confluence State Park and the Daniel Boone Home.
For Travelers Heading Down River
  French Colonial Country
Down river of St. Louis and the Meeting of the Great Rivers Scenic Byway area is French Colonial Country. This five county area was heavily influenced by the French fur traders who inhabited the region from 1700 to 1840. Attractions include the town of Ste. Genevieve with the largest concentration of French Colonial architecture in North America, Forts de Chartre and Kaskaskia in Randolph County, and the Cahokia complex in St. Clair County.
   
FEATURED ATTRACTIONS ALONG THE GREAT RIVER ROAD
Historic
Elsah, Illinois
Foundry Art Centre
St. Charles, MO
Fort de Chartres
State Historic Site
U.S. Grant
National Historic Site
     






 
  Regional Guides
to the Middle Mississippi River Valley
 
       
  Meeting of the Great Rivers
National Scenic Byway
Ste. Genevieve &
French Colonial Country
Gateway to the West
St. Louis & St. Louis County
        
 
   Meeting the Missouri
Historic St. Charles County
The Lincoln Hills Region
Northeast Missouri
   
 
  The Tri-States Area
Iowa, Illinois & Missouri
The Mississippi River
Meets the Ohio River
   
  greatriverroad.com Home Page
Your index to over 800 informative pages covering the Middle Mississippi River Valley.
  At greatriverroad.com we strive for accuracy.
If you have any corrections, suggestions or information
you would like to see contact the webmaster.
For advertising information contact marketing.
Copyright 2001-2011
greatriverroad.com - Elsah, Illinois