Visitors Guide to the
State Historic Site
198 Merchant Street
Sainte Genevieve, Missouri
Felix Vallé State Historic Site consists of several buildings that preserve
and interpret various examples of the architecture and history of Sainte
Genevieve. The centerpiece of the site is the Felix Vallé House, built in
1818 by its original owner, Jacob Philipson. This combination mercantile
store and residence was constructed out of native limestone in the Federal
style and illustrates the influence Americans had on the community following
the Louisiana Purchase. Philipson sold the house in 1824 to Jean Baptiste
Vallé, the son of
Francois Valle, who was the first Spanish commandant of the town when it was
under Spanish rule. Felix Vallé, the fourth son of Jean
Baptiste became the owner in 1835. The building housed the trading
firm of Menard & Vallé as well as the residence of Felix and his wife
Odile. With the help of recovered ledgers the mercantile store (photo right)
stocked with items that would’ve been available during Felix Vallé’s
holding firmly to their French traditions, including language and religion,
the Vallés embraced the modern features of 19th century life that became
available with the advent of steamboat traffic on the Mississippi River. The
residential portion of the building is spacious and furnished with period
pieces including furniture, clothing, glass and house wares. Some of the
pieces on display originally belonged to the Vallé family. In back of the
home is a building which housed the kitchen and in the yard is a typical
family garden. Guided tours of the home that explain the history and
lifestyle of this period are included with the price of admission.
Across the street is the Dr. Benjamin
Shaw House. Built ca. 1819 by Jean Baptiste Bossier, this building served as
a store house for his mercantile business. In 1837 Bossier sold the building
to Shaw who made significant additions to Bossier’s small building and
converted it for use as a residence. The restored building is now used as an
administrative office for the site. The newest addition to the site is the
House on St. Marys road which is an example of the earlier French
Creole style of architecture. The site is operated by the Missouri
Department of Natural Resources.
Felix Vallé State Historic Site
April 1 to October 31, the site is open daily: Monday - Saturday: 10 am - 4 pm
Sunday from 12 - 5 pm
November 1 to March 31, the site is open Thursday - Saturday: 10 am - 4 pm
Sunday from 12 - 5 pm
The Bauvais-Amoureux House is open on weekends April 1
through October 31, and open daily June 1 through mid-August
Group tours are available year-round with advance reservations.
The Bauvais-Amoureux House and the Dr. Benjamin Shaw House
are part of the Felix
Vallé State Historic Site. Admission to all three sites is $5 for Adult
tickets, $3 for anyone ages 6-17, while anyone 5 and under is admitted free.
Felix Vallé State Historic Site is located in the downtown historic district
of Sainte Genevieve.
N 37° 58.803'
W 90° 02.661'
Learn more about the Sainte Genevieve