Historical Museum is located in the split-level brick house built in 1861 by
August and Catherine Sehrt, immigrants from Hannover, Germany. August, an
experienced carpenter, made furniture and caskets in the downstairs
stonewalled workroom and grew grapes and fruit trees on the 8 acres around
the house. Catherine cared for their large family of 2 boys and 8 girls.
Augusta acquired the 6-room house and grounds in 1975 from the descendants
of the Sehrt family and turned the property into a town park and a museum.
The Sehrt home is one of Augusta's 8 houses on the National Historic
of Historic Augusta, who administer the
Museum have undertaken significant restoration and has opened the Museum to
the public. On the first floor is the meeting room, which features a Civil
War collage, Augusta family papers, archival documents, and the display:
"Augusta in Photos." An 1860 bedroom introduces visitors to a rope
bed, large walnut wardrobe, immigrant trunk, an 1870 "Rocker
doll," along with the Museum's permanent residents "Ms. Louise and
Ms. Hedwig" in their wedding dresses.
kitchen and a workroom occupy the lower floor. The kitchen
(photo left) with a cooking range, pie saver, and cabinet
reflects the practicality of 1800s furnishings. Old ice skates,
lanterns, sewing basket, jugs, etc. add to the atmosphere. The
workroom or "casket room" features a well-preserved and
extensive collection of woodworking tools of the 1870s, along
with artifacts of 1900s blacksmithing, railroading, and
athletics in Augusta.
Visiting the Augusta Historical Museum
Sundays 1 pm - 4 pm May through October or by appointment
Open to tours by appointment
There is no charge to visit the Augusta
Historical Museum, although donations are appreciated.
Location: From MO-94 take Jackson Street into Augusta to High
Street. Take a right on High Street and go 2 blocks to Webster Street.
more about the Augusta area.