Visitors Guide to the
Quincy Museum
1601 Maine Street
Quincy, Illinois
217-224-7669

Accessible Parking Accessible Interpretive Exhibits Accessible Illinois Historic Site Accessible Cultural Exhibits Accessible Gift Shop Accessible Restrooms

The Quincy Museum began as a small museum in a building constructed by Dr. James Reed in 1962 for Native American artifacts in Indian Mounds Park. In 1963 Dr. John L. Snow was selected to manage the museum under Dr. Snow and the Board of Directors guidance the museum grew and expanded. In 1969 the museum moved to Quinsippi Island, an island in the Mississippi River to a building erected with the help of the Moorman Manufacturing Company, and the Quincy Park District. The move sparked new interest in the museum and gifts and donations increased for the collections. In 1977 the Smithsonian Museum took a special interest in the museum and helped to expand and redesign the exhibits for the museum's nationally important collection of Native American artifacts and their natural history collections. In 1980 the Richard F. Newcomb House became available for purchase in 1980. After leasing the home from the Quincy College for one year the museum purchased the property in 1981.

The museumís new home is in a house built by Richard F. Newcomb, who at the time was an executive of the Gem City Paper Mill. Newcomb purchased the 2-1/2 acre lot in 1880 and razed the Greek revival house that was on the site. Newcomb proceeded to build a Richardson Romanesque Revival Style house built of buff colored Berea Sandstone quarried from Ohio. The Richardson Romanesque style of architecture shows a broad round arches, massive stone exteriors with architectural ornamental carvings. The house has three stories with three towers on the front of the house and a large front porch. The first floor features a central living hall around which were grouped a formal parlor, a den, an informal sitting room, a dining room, and a library. The second floor featured a large central hall with bedrooms on the sides. The interior of the house is notable for the variety of fine woods used in its construction and the elaborately carved wood in the central hall, the decorative art-glass in a great number of windows and wood carvings above the door sills and window sills. The hardware fixtures are of considerable interest and each floor has its own separate pattern. The Richard F. Newcomb House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

The rooms on the first floor, including the front parlor, the Great Hall, the den and the sitting room, are furnished in a Victorian era style to reflect the era when the Newcombs first lived in the home. Features on the second floor are the Clat Adams Store Front, exhibits on local history and rotating annual exhibits on history and cultures. Also on the second floor is the Ellington Stone, which may be proof that LaSalle explored the Middle Mississippi River Valley before Joliet and Marquette. The third floor houses a dinosaur exhibit, an exhibits on Mississippi River wildlife, and Native American exhibits which includes a full-sized Illini longhouse.

Visiting the Quincy Museum
     Visiting Hours
         
Tuesday - Sunday: 1 pm - 5 pm
     The Quincy Museum is closed from November & January through March
Admission: $4 for adults, $3 for students, free for children under 5


Location: The Quincy Museum is located at 1601 Maine Street (IL-104) east of the Quincy downtown riverfront area.

Learn more about the Quincy area.


www.thequincymuseum.com - Official site of the Quincy Museum

FEATURED ATTRACTIONS ALONG THE GREAT RIVER ROAD
Battle of Athens
State Historic Site
Villa Kathrine
Quincy, Illinois
John Wood Mansion
Quincy, Illinois
Chief Keokuk Statue
Keokuk, Iowa
     





 
  Regional Guides
to the Middle Mississippi River Valley
 
       
  Meeting of the Great Rivers
National Scenic Byway
Ste. Genevieve &
French Colonial Country
Gateway to the West
St. Louis & St. Louis County
        
 
   Meeting the Missouri
Historic St. Charles County
The Lincoln Hills Region
Northeast Missouri
   
 
  The Tri-States Area
Iowa, Illinois & Missouri
The Mississippi River
Meets the Ohio River
   
  greatriverroad.com Home Page
Your index to over 800 informative pages covering the Middle Mississippi River Valley.
  At greatriverroad.com we strive for accuracy.
If you have any corrections, suggestions or information
you would like to see contact the webmaster.
For advertising information contact marketing.
Copyright 2001-2011
greatriverroad.com - Elsah, Illinois