Keokuk Observation Deck is built upon the deck of the old Keokuk
Municipal Bridge and provides a wonderful view of the Mississippi River,
Lock & Dam No. 19, the George M. Verity Museum and Victory Park. The
first bridge at this location opened in 1870. The Keokuk rapids had not
been tamed at that time, so construction was dangerous in the fast rough
waters. After the bridge was completed it was hit and damaged several
times by river boats. The bridge featured a single deck bridge with
vehicle, pedestrian, and train traffic sharing the same level. The
second bridge was completed in 1916 and used the same piers as the 1870
bridge. To eliminate the train delays, the bridge was built with a
second deck to handle US-136 highway traffic. These bridges were
promoted by Andrew Carnegie, and were built by the Keokuk and Hamilton
Bridge Company. The bridge company ran into financial problems in the
1940s and ownership was transferred to the City of Keokuk in 1948 and
the name of bridge changed to the Keokuk Municipal Bridge. When the new
US-136 Bridge opened in late 1985 the upper deck of the historic swing
span bridge was closed and refurbished as an observation deck. This deck
provides a great view for watching river boats traverse Lock & Dam No.
19 as well as providing a beautiful view of the Mississippi River and
Victory Park. The observation deck features benches, picnic tables and
is a good spot in the winter
for those who are looking for a place to view Bald Eagles.
Keokuk Observation Deck
The the Keokuk
Observation Deck can be
visited daily from dawn to dusk.
There is no charge to visit the Keokuk
The Keokuk Observation Deck is located on North
Water Street just north of the US-136 Bridge on the Keokuk riverfront.
Learn more about the